Coping Skills For Children
- Coping Strategies, Exercises, Visualizations, and Meditations for young people and people with any intellectual disability.
- Exercises to help with feeling overwhelmed, anxious, and stressed. Instructions are given for particular conditions where the exercises may be especially useful. The exercises are meant to be used preventatively, to promote resilience, as well as reactively, to help exit a state. For maximum gain, practice the exercises when calmer, so that skills can be used even when anxious.
- Designed by Dr Ruwani Kumari Fernando, a full member of the New Zealand College of Clinical Psychologists and registered with the New Zealand Board of Clinical Psychologists as well as the Australialian Psychologists Board. I abide by the Code of Ethics of these Boards.
- She is on the National Council for the New Zealand College of Clinical Psychologists (see www.nzccp.co.nz) and is the Editor of the Professional Journal. Previously she had been the chairperson of the Otago/Southland Branch of the New Zealand College of Clinical Psychologists.
- In 2015, she was honoured to have her contribution to clinical psychology in NZ recognised by the award of Fellowship from the NZ College of Clinical Psychologists.
Dr Kumari Fernando Valentine is a clinical psychologist with an interest in anxiety, trauma, and wellbeing. This CD is a collection of exercises that are useful when younger people need increased coping skills.
Contents Of The Downloadable CD
- Stretch like a Cat: A brief, playful progressive muscle relaxation to decrease tension. Especially useful for trauma, worry, anger, sleep problems.
- Tummy Breathing: Diaphragmatic Breathing. Useful for all conditions. An essential skill.
- Affirmations: Neutral and positive coping statements. Useful for worry, managing anxiety including panic, performance fears, low mood, self-esteem.
- Bubble Breathing: Slow Breathing. Useful for all conditions. An essential skill.
- Sticking Attention: and smell. Useful for: trauma/dissociation/spacing out, feeling overwhelmed, panic, feeling out of control, social anxiety, low mood, agitation, anger, worry.
- My Bubble of Protection: A visualisation exercise, developed originally for adults, where we imagine creating a bubble of protection for the day that shields us from negativity, and criticism. Useful for: dealing with bullies and critics, social anxiety, self-esteem, trauma.
- Safe Place Visualisation: A visualisation for helping with carrying a feeling of safety around inside. We create a safe place that can be gone to when needed. At first, it may be difficult to imagine a safe place. Practice will help. Useful for: trauma, social anxiety, stress.
- Riding the Waves of Anxiety: In this visualisation, with accompanying ocean sounds, we imagine coping with anxious feelings. Useful for exposure and response prevention work, trauma, panic, agitation.
- Walking through a Rainforest: Peaceful visualisation to promote calmness.
- Zap Zap Automatic Negative Thoughts (ANTs): Automatic Negative Thoughts quickly enter our head and we believe them! They affect how we feel. In this exercise, we practice tuning in to thoughts and then zapping them! Useful for: all conditions including worry, stress, feeling overwhelmed.
Fill Out the Enquire Now to download three free tracks from the CD.